Saturday, January 17, 2009

¡Bajo cero!

I'm working on my Spanish. I took Spanish in Junior High (middle school), High School, and College but I haven't used it in a while. I'm functional but no where near fluent. In the course of my week, I have about 30 or 40 contacts who speak predominantly Spanish. I let them practice their English on me; I practice my Spanish on them. It really is fun.

I had a very funny conversation this week with one of my friends. After the all to common "hace muy frio" (It's very cold), I continued to tell my friend that the temperature that night was predicted to be "veintinueve grados bajo cero" or 29 degrees below zero. Incredulously, he asked "¿bajo cero?" "Sí, bajo cero." Over and over the rest of the time, he just kept muttering "bajo cero" and shaking his head.

All day the next day, every time I looked at my desktop thermometer, all I could say was "bajo cero."

No comments: