Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mother's Day

Mother's Day is a very hard holiday for me. When I was a kid, it was an obligatory acknowledgment of a very strained relationship. I'd hand Mom a card and stand there fidgitty while she read the card with her own discomfort. We'd sorta hug and both offer a relieved sigh that THAT was over for another year.

As the relationship healed, Mother's Day became a laughing time. We'd talk about the hilarious dysfunctional antics of my childhood and laugh until our sides hurt. Then quiet reflection would settle over our moods and we were thankful for time and change.

You never have as much time as you want though. My time with Mom was way too short. Shortly after she died, I was cleaning out her stuff and I found the last Mother's Day card I had given her. She saved it. It was in her night stand drawer on top of some other stuff. It was obvious that it had been read many times. I was so glad I had told her I loved her. So glad.

This is the tribute I posted last year: Tribute to Mom

Take time to write a card. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: