Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Wall



A long time ago, I had a Lhasa Apso named Pookie. She was a funny dog. She loved to go on walks. Short walks. When she was done, she was done. We would be walking along and she would decide the walk had been long enough and she would just lie down. She wouldn't move. We would pull on the leash and drag her and she wouldn't budge. We called the scenario, "taking Pookie for a drag." No matter how long we waited, she was done. Finally, we would pick her up and carry her and she would perk right up and look around and be all happy.

I think my body pulled a Pookie this week. Age is a funny thing for me. I know I am 47. I know I am not 20 anymore, but I don't feel 47. (Don't ask me what 47 feels like, I have no clue.) I just know that I expect to be able to do the same things I did when I was 20. Sometimes, I can't. This working and going to school full-time is a lot to expect out of a 47-year-old body, especially one that was so very sick a couple of years ago.

Don't worry, I'm fine, but I guess I need more than 5 or 6 hours sleep a night. This week, every time I try to read or do my assignments, I fall asleep. So last night, I went to bed early and this morning I'm going slow. If I pace myself, I'll finish this semester just fine.

In the meantime, I hit the wall. Ouch.

1 comment:

Arlene said...

I know what you mean. I just don't feel my age, either. I still feel 19. Whenever I think about my age, I always stop and do a stutter-step in my mind -- twenty three? Is that right?

And, with a toddler running around, I can't stay up as late as I used to... well, I can. But, it won't be very good the next morning when the little one is up bright and early and all I want to do is burrow up under the covers again!

Good for you with going back to school and trying to get it all done! You'll be finished before you know it! :o)