Tuesday, March 9, 2010

It's been a long winter


I know it's been a long winter everywhere, it seems, but the winter in Iowa felt endless. We had snow on the ground everyday for more than three months. Now, to lifelong Midwesterners, that's not a big deal. I hear them brag about the winters "back in the day." (I don't believe them though when they say that back in the day, it started snowing in August and didn't quit until May... that's stretching it more than a bit.)


But I'm not a Midwesterner. I've made my home in the Midwest for almost 20 years now, but I am still a Texas girl. We never had snow on the ground for three days straight, let alone three months.


This winter got to me. I think I understand a little those people who say they get depressed in the winter. I did. I was so tired of cold and snow and ice, that I didn't want to do anything. I think I've been to Walmart less than half a dozen times since Thanksgiving. That's pretty bad.


I missed the sunshine. Even though I know we are headed into our rainy season, the sun comes out between the storms and that makes them tolerable.


It dawned on me, that because the Son shines on me between the storms of life, they too are tolerable.

2 comments:

Saleslady371 said...

It does seem like an unusually long winter nationwide. Although I live in sunny Arizona, we've had to share our strong sun with many cloudy days of late! May the Lord teach all of us the sun we need the most is His Son! Your photo is dramatic!

bronteblue said...

Perhaps the Lord, in his wisdom,allows storms in our lives so that we might see and love the Son more dearly.